Friday, September 01, 2017

Far, Far Away



Here's another picture from my home town, but a lot people who grew up in the 70s and 80s will relate to this. A friend sent me a photo of the original marquee being removed at Bremerton's historic Roxy Theater yesterday. Coincidentally, I photographed the Art Deco movie house a few weeks ago, planning to make a composite of a crowd lined up to see Star Wars in 1977. If you grew up in Kitsap County back then, chances are you saw the original trilogy at the Roxy. In Panavision. AND color. A lot of us will always be sentimental about walking under those neon lights for our first visit to a galaxy far, far away.

It seemed like the Roxy's days as a movie palace were over years ago, but thanks to recent restoration efforts it reopened with a new marquee last month. And it's screening films once again!

CK

3 comments:

Linda said...

Your work is ingenious. I love looking at them. I married into the Denny family, originally pioneers of Seattle, so I'll share your work with the rest of the family. Thank you for sharing these photos with us.

Clayton Kauzlaric said...

Thank you! I'm have a lot of fun making these.

Michael G. said...

The ROXY marquee is back and beautiful.